Friday, October 10, 2008

Couldn't agree more...

If you've never read Michele Catalano, I encourage you to do so. I've been following her for a lot of years - beginning right after 9/11 when she mirrored my terror, dismay, anger, and confusion. Over the years she has grown so much as a writer/blogger. I can't tell you how often I find myself nodding as I read her blog, saying "Yes! Exactly!" She has come a long way - and apparently she has found a lot of peace and happiness in her personal life lately & I am very happy for her! But with all that, she still manages to hit on that vein of anger I have running through me in her post today. I am going to quote the entirety of the post and I sincerely hope she doesn't mind. I strongly encourage you to add her to your blogroll & read her on a regular basis!

I hate this election.
I hate everything about it.
I hate my choices.
I hate that this is the first time my daughter will be voting and she wanted so badly to get involved and campaign, but there's no candidate that has stirred her passion.
I hate that the country seems to be falling apart at the height of the election cycle.
I hate the campaign tactics of both sides.
I hate the spittle coming out of the mouths of some of my friends and family.
I hate the lack of polite discourse.
I hate the ads.
I hate that things are uglier than they were in 2004.
I hate that this is all making me feel so hateful.
I hate the conspiracy theorists I have to listen to all day at work.
I hate the violently angry bumper stickers I see.
I hate condescension, belittling, sarcasm and rhetoric in a political campaign.
I hate when people hang onto their party's line even though that party no longer represents them.
I hate feeling like this.
I hate when thickheaded, belligerent people refuse to see both sides of an issue.
I hate that there are people who believe everything they read/see/hear on the internet.
I hate when people are so easily swept up in groupthink.
I hate this election.
And I hate motherfucking circus peanuts*. Seriously.

But
I love this country.
I love our freedom to say stupid, angry, belligerent things.
I love listening to the people that make me feel hate, because at the same time it makes me feel good that we live in a place where people can talk freely.

I still hate circus peanuts.