Tuesday, July 22, 2008

You should have eaten that jello!

My lovely and intellegent husband, Chris, will not eat any food that is one second past the "Use by" or "Expiration" dates on food. We have often had a discussion that goes something like this:

Chris: Honey, do we have any bread for a sandwich?

NY Nerd: Yes - right here.

Chris: But it says "July 5th" on it - it's July 6th!!! I can't eat that!!! OMG!!! WTF are you trying to do - kill me????

NY Nerd: It's fine - look I'm eating it!! It's just ONE day - as long as it's not moldy or stale, it's fine!!

Chris: Well you can risk YOUR life but I'm not eating that!

So I feel somewhat vindicated when reading this article on one man's experiment with eating expired food.

DAY 14

Emboldened, I end my experiment on Day 14 with a bowl of Kellogg's Sultana Bran cereal, nearly three months past its Best Before date. Not very crisp but eminently edible.


It is over. Despite eating food that was increasingly out of date every day for two weeks, I have suffered not a scintilla of tummy trouble.