Friday, August 8, 2008

I missed my cash cow.

I have noticed that when myself and NY Nerd walk around the city she has this habit of walking around the metal grates in the sidewalk, I see a lot of women doing this when they are wearing high heels for fear of them getting stuck, but NY Nerd is always in flats.

NY Nerd once said she avoids the grates because they will give way and you will plummet to the ground below.

So on one recent trip into Manhattan I looked down and said, "It's really not a huge drop, maybe 10 or 12 feet."

I have fallen out of a 2 story window onto the grass below during my drunken teen years and walked away with a bruised ass and ego.

I would think this would be a cash cow, falling through a grate, you would get enough money to buy some cool electronics and go on vacation and have some left over to squirrel away for a rainy day.

My point is I found this story online, and it happened in Brooklyn.

Firefighters say they rescued a man who plunged 8 feet after falling through a sidewalk subway grate in Brooklyn.

A Fire Department spokesman says the man was badly bruised and suffered fractures in the accident Friday morning in Bedford-Stuyvesant. He was taken to a hospital for treatment.

The spokesman, Alex Bartley, says it's not clear why the sidewalk grate gave way.

The name of the victim, in his 20s, was not released
Dammit, 8 feet. That's a cake walk, I could manage that fall all the while moaning and groaning till I get my nice settlement from the City of New York.